Buchanan meets his match

17 July 2009 |permalink | email article

MSNBC pundit Pat Buchanan, who’s been urging Republican members of the Senate Judiciary Committee to oppose the Sonia Sotomayor nomination over affirmative action issues, finally met his match in an epic battle with Rachel Maddow on her show Thursday where she made him look like a fool.

The key part of their bitter exchange came after Maddow asked Buchanan why he thought that 108 of the 110 Supreme Court Justices had been white.

He replied, in part, “This has been a country built basically by white folks, who were 90% of the nation when I was growing up and the other 10% were African Americans who had been discriminated against. That’s why.”

Buchanan, for my two cents plain, would be much happier on the Fox News channel where he could keep Glenn Beck company.

Missing voice. All parties agree that the health care debate is reaching a critical phase, with key committees in the House and Senate trying to forge compromises. The problem, a New York Times story indicated today, is a bipartisan consensus on one point, if Ted Kennedy was present it would make a big difference.

Kennedy, battling brain cancer, has not been on Capitol Hill since April, He’s been at his home on Cape Cod, undergoing new chemotherapy treatments that reportedly have left him depleted and frustrated in recent weeks.

Republicans, in particular, has expressed concern about Kennedy’s lack of input, a cause he’s spent most of his life trying to expand health coverage. Sen. Orrin Hatch said the bill would not be as one sided, and liberal, had Kennedy been able to be present.

Quotes:

“No one has written your destiny for you,” Obama in a fiery sermon to black America Thursday night in New York, warning black parents that they must accept their own responsibilities by “putting away the Xbox and putting our kids to bed at a reasonable hour,” and telling black children that growing up poor is no reason to get poor grades.

Palin’s big obstacle: Bob Shrum writes in his “This Week” column that while she pulls at the heartstrings of the Republican base, the quitter governor has one problem she cannot overcome in 2012: Republicans like to choose the next in line – and she isn’t.”

688

     

    Monthly archives

    Links

    Syndicate

    • Add Joe Scott--The Body Politic to Newsburst from CNET News.com
    • Subscribe in Rojo
    • Subscribe in Bloglines
    • Add to Google
    • Enter your email address:

      Delivered by FeedBurner